And so we continue on our tour of the many uses of pumpkin purée…
Today I present you with a sweet and spicy soup – perfect for the chilly weather than has decided it’s here to stay.
Also, if you’re bored, you should take a second to watch, like, and share my sister and her friends’ hilarious youtube video titled The Only American in Hogwarts. I know this is totally unrelated to the soup, but I just couldn’t help but brag about my sister…
Ingredients (makes about 5-6 servings)
- 2 butternut squash (peeled, seeded and cut into small cubes)
- 2 tart apples (peeled, cored and cubed)
- 2 cups pumpkin purée
- 6 cups vegetable/chicken broth
- 1 onion, roughly chopped
- 4-5 garlic cloves, minced
- 1-2 tbs olive oil
- 1 tbs sriracha
- 2 tbs honey
- 2 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp chili powder
- 1 tsp thyme
- 1 tsp crushed red pepper
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 cup half and half
- In a large soup pot, sauté the onions in olive oil.
- Once the onions begin to soften, add the garlic and continue sautéing until the garlic becomes fragrant.
- Add the squash, apples, pumpkin, broth, sriracha, honey, cumin, chili powder, crushed red pepper, and salt to the pot.
- Bring to a boil then simmer on low for 30 minutes.
- Once the squash is soft, remove the soup from heat and and purée in a blender 2-3 cups at a time, or with a immersion blender.
- Return the puréed soup to the pot, add the half and half and continue cooking for 3-4 minutes.
- Let cool, serve and enjoy!